Hydrocar is a tool for teaching students about the hybrid technology that is fueling today’s automotive revolution! The Hydrocar demonstrates a complete, clean-energy system with solar to hydrogen power generation.
Hydrogen Car Science Kit For Kids
Hydrocar introduces students to the hybrid technology that is fueling today’s automotive revolution! Hydrocar demonstrates a complete, clean-energy system with solar to hydrogen power generation. Powered by electricity from sunlight, the reversible fuel cell illustrates the principles of water electrolysis, separating hydrogen from water and then recombining these elements to create power in an extremely efficient process. What’s more, the car can steer independently to avoid running into obstacles.
- Great entry-level fuel cell car kit, and one of Horizon’s best sellers!
- Demonstrates electrolysis of water into oxygen and hydrogen
- Includes solar panel to power electrolysis process
- Includes experiment guide on CD, as well as a complete assembly manual
- Easy to build and operate, steers independently when meeting obstacles
- Chassis with an LED light and motor
- Reversible (PEM) fuel cell
- 0.75 Watt solar cell
- 2 x 2mm connecting leads
- Battery pack with connecting leads
- Hydrogen tank
- Oxygen tank
- Inner gas containers
- Plastic plug pins for fuel cell
- Transparent silicon tubing
- Assembly instructions
- CD-ROM with curriculum manuals
What is included in the Horizon Energy Curriculum? The lab equipment is just the beginning. We’ve built the Horizon Energy Curriculum to provide teachers with multiple resources for engaging their students.
- Reversible electrolysis reactions
- Reaction rates
- Increasing energy efficiency and car performance
- Renewable energy
- Conservation of energy and energy transfer
- Assembly and operation of the hydrocar
- The effect of heat on solar panels
- The effect of shade on solar panels
- The effect of tilt angle on solar panels
- Finding the solar panel’s maximum power point (requires variable resistor module-sold separately)
- Electrolysis mode generating hydrogen and oxygen from water
- Fuel cell mode generating electricity from hydrogen and oxygen
- Determining the minimum voltage for water decomposition
- Polarization states for hydrogen fuel cells
Hydrocar - FAQ
1. The water levels do not drop when the gas outlet tubes on both sides of the fuel cell are unplugged.
Check whether the holes on the wall of the inner cylinder are blocked. If so, turn the inner cylinder until water enters the holes and fills up the inner cylinder.
2. The reversible fuel cell does not produce hydrogen and/or oxygen.
a. Check whether the wires are appropriately connected, and whether there are any loose connections. The fuel cell could be completely destroyed if the red wire of the battery pack is connected to the black jack of the fuel cell.
b. Check whether the switch of the battery pack is in the “on” position.
3. The water electrolysis process slows down.
a. Add water to the oxygen side of the fuel cell and wait for about 5 minutes.
b. Replace old AA batteries with new AA batteries inside the battery pack.
4. The car stops moving while there is still hydrogen left inside the tanks.
a. Purge the gases and perform water electrolysis for 4-5 minutes. Unplug the hydrogen gas outlet tube and oxygen gas tubes to purge the gases. Perform water electrolysis again until the hydrogen tank is filled, and connect the motor to the fuel cell. If the problem persists, go to the next step.
b. Let the water electrolysis process last about 10 minutes to consume the residual water. To push water out of the fuel cell, purge the gases. Perform water electrolysis once more until the hydrogen tank is filled, then connect the motor to the fuel cell.